SWAFFHAM PRIOR ST. MARY
"SWAFFHAM PRIOR ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Swaffham Prior.
Swaffham Prior main page."
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary, which had long been in ruins, but was used as a burying
place for the Allix family, was restored in 1902, and is now the parish church: the
restoration of the tower and the rebuilding of the steeple still remain to be done:
a very beautiful rood screen, with loft and figures, was presented to the church
in 1903 by the late C. P. Allix esq. : the building consists of nave and clerestory,
part of the western tower, Norman and Early English, and remains of the western porch:
the chancel and vestries were completed in 1879: the total cost of restoration amounted
to about £6,000: there are sittings for 366 persons."
[Kellys Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Swaffham Prior St Mary:
The parish was united with Saints Cyriac and Julitta in 1667. Records of baptisms
1569-1662, marriages 1559-1653 and burials 1559-1653 reside in the Cambridge Record
Office. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1569-1851,
marriages 1559-1851 and burials 1559-1848, these include SS. Cyriac and Julitta after
1661; the transcripts of the parish registers for the years 1559-1852, for both parishes,
are available, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1647, 1661-63 can be found in the Cambridge University Library, the later BT's were combined with SS. Cyriac and Julitta..
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015