Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"WILLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of PAPWORTH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (B. by S.) from St. Ives, containing 1170 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the Icing's books at £18. 8. 1. The church is dedicated to St. Mary and All Saints; on the north side of the chancel is a chapel, in the decorated style of English architecture, with a stone roof of singular construction. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A charity school was founded by subscription, in 1593, and an estate purchased for its endowment, which now produces £20 per annum; it is also further endowed with a rent-charge of £10, bequeathed, in 1700, by Dr. Saywell, Master of Jesus' College, Cambridge the number of children is limited to thirty. An almshouse for four widows was founded, in 1616, by William Smith, Provost of King's College, Cambridge, and endowed with £12 per annum. Much of the cheese which takes its name from the neighbouring village of Cottenham is made in this parish, where about one thousand two hundred milch cows are usually kept."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]