The name 'Lanner' originates from Lannergh, meaning 'a clearing' in the Cornish language; it has also been well-known as 'Lannarth'. The parish sprawls up the long slopes of a wide valley and is shielded by hills. It is a former tin and copper mining parish south-east of Redruth on the main road to Penryn which had grown rapidly in the 19th century; at the beginning of that century it only had 6 cottages. In the 13th century the Bishop of Exeter enclosed some woodland here to create a deer park. There is a disused quarry at Carn Marth.
Today most residents work in nearby towns, and local disused industrial sites have been tranformed into local assets such as walkways and playing fields.
Lanner was created as an ecclesiastical parish from part of the civil parish of Gwennap in 1844. Tresavean is a village in Lanner parish.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1841. In 1841 Lanner (Lannarth) was enumerated as part of Gwennap.
1851. The 1851 Census of Lannarth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
Anglican. The ecclesiastical district of Lanarth (Lanner) was gazetted in 1844. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7139; it is dedicated as: Christ Church. The church was erected in 1845, and is uglier, though less obtrusive, than that of St Day. It is a small stuccoed building consisting of a chancel, nave, south aisle, vestry, north porch and a turret containing one bell. It was consecrated on St Swithin's Day 1845, and was restored in 1883. The registers date from 1839.
Non-Conformist. [Pictures are provided courtesy of the OPC].
The parish of Lanner is in the Registration District of Camborne and has been continuously from its creation. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.