"DEAN, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4½ miles S.W. of Cockermouth, and 5½ S.E. of Workington. It is situated on the Marrow, a branch of the river Derwent, here abounding in trout and contains the townships of Dean, Branthwaite, and Ullock. The population are chiefly engaged in the working of coal, limestone, and iron ore, and in the quarries, which produce a good variety of red and white freestone, and a black stone called cat-scalp."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Dean from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.