"HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST, a parish in the Leath ward, county Cumberland, 6 miles N.W. of Penrith, its post town, and 3 from the Plumpton station of the Lancashire and Carlisle railway. It is situated on the river Peterill, and contains the townships of Hutton and Thomas Close. It was anciently held by the king's stirrup holder, he having also to keep in repair the fences of Plumpton Forest. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture and woodland. The village is small and wholly agricultural."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Hutton in the Forest from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.