"LONGTOWN, a township and small market and post town in the parish of Arthuret, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 8 miles N.W. of Carlisle, and 309 N.N.W. of London. It is a station on the North British railway, and is about 5 miles from the Rockcliffe station on the Caledonian line. It is situated on the south bank of the river Esk, over which is a stone bridge near the junction of that river with the Liddel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Longtown from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.