"LOWESWATER, a parochial chapelry in the parish of St. Bees and ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Egremont. It is situated in a deep and extensive vale at the foot of Blake Fell, between the north-western part of Crummockwater and the lake bearing its name. The river Cocker bounds it on the E., separating it from Lorton. The chapelry includes, besides the township of Loweswater, those of Mockerkin and Sosgill, and the hamlet of Thackthwaite, with part of Crummockwater."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Loweswater from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.