"This parish is the extreme southern part of the county, and stretches northward from the sea along the west bank of the river Duddon, to the source of the Esk, and containing the four townships of Birker and Austhwaite, Chapel Sucken, Millom Below and Millom Above; also the two chapelries of Thwaites and Ulpha. It is bounded on the north by the Esk, which divides it from Muncaster and Eskdale, on the west by Waberthwaite, Corney, Bootle, Whitbeck and Whicham, and on the south by the mouth of the Duddon which here expands into an open sandy bay, well known for its mussels and cockles."
[Description from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- Millom has a Folk Museum - St. George's Road, Millom, LA18 4DD. The small museum and information centre are open during summer months. Among the records and exhibits on display is a full-scale reconstruction of a drift from the nearby Hodbarrow iron ore mine, together with a replica of a miner's cottage kitchen and a blacksmith's forge.
- Millom Castle dates from 1335. The ruins surround the farmhouse which partly occupies the pele tower. Viewing is by permission from the farm.
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, Mannix & Whellan, 1847
The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- Haswell, J.F.,ed. The Registers of Millom, Cumberland, 1591-1812, P.R.S.11, 1925.
- Knowles, Canon. The Earlier Registers of Waberthwaite and Millom, Tr. 3, 1878, 314-20.
- Winchester, Angus J.L., The castle household and demesne farm at Millom in 1513-14, Tr. N.S. 83, 1983, 85-99. Accounts giving many names.
- "The Church of Millom, dedicated to the Holy Trinity is situate in this township, close to the Castle. It is a venerable edifice consisting of a nave and chancel, a south aisle, and a modern porch, with a bell turret carrying two bells. Near (the) east window is a piscina and at the west end is an octagonal stone font, ornamented with quatre-foils and a shield charged with the arms of Huddleston. In the church is an ancient mural tablet recording the names of several of the Huddleston family. The Rev Henry Pickthall B.A. is the present vicar, being inducted in 1836."
(Extract from History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, Mannix & Whellan, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Barrow office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England - Holy Trinity (CRO Reference: BPR10)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1590-1967 1590-1980 1823-1954 1590-1960 1690-1854 Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1877-1956 1879-1957 1892-1909 1877-1938 1856-1881 Baptisms Circuit Registers 1871-1891
- Most local marriage bonds 1648-1858 are deposited at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. Some indexes up to 1755 have been published by Lancashire & Cheshire Record Society.
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Millom transcribed from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847 by Carol Bennett.
- The transcription of the section for Millom from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Millom fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Chester and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court of the commissary of the Archdeconry of Richmond and are now deposited in the Lancashire Record Office. Most surviving local wills prior to 1858 are therefore in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. However indexes are available at Barrow for COPELAND 1530-1857, and the Cumbria Record Office in Carlisle holds microfilm of some wills for the Deanery of Copeland 1466-1860.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.