Chacewater (Chasewater), (Cornish: Penn an Chas) is in the Deanery of Powder. The parish was created in 1828 from
part of Kea parish. The parish is named after the 'English Chase' or
hunting ground near to a stream, or other water, feature. Chacewater comes into
history as the hunting-ground of the early kings of Cornwall. In Eilhart of
Oberg's twelfth-century version of the Tristan legend we are told of
King Mark seeking Tristan and his love, Isuelt, in the king's forest and
finding them asleep in a leafy bower in Blancheland - the manor in which
Chacewater lies. But Tristan's sword lay unsheathed between them, proving
that they were guiltless.
(1736-1819) used to stay at Chacewater during the erection of his famous engine
at the Chacewater mine, since known as Wheal Busy. The populous village of
Chacewater owed its existence in the early 19th century solely to the
surrounding mines. On Creegbrawse Downs is a valuable quarry of an elvan,
similar in colour to the famed Pentewan stone.
Chacewater was long
distinguished by possessing one of the largest and ugliest churches in
An illustrated History of Chacewater, entitled "Chacewater - A Story of a
Cornish Mining Village" has been written by The Chacewater
Projects, and is available from them at: Ronda, The Terrace, Chacewater,
Truro, Cornwall TR4 8LT. Email: email@example.com
The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 1778 entries
- The Municipal Cemetery - 537 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Chacewater was enumerated as part of Kenwyn and Kea parishes.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Chacewater (HO107/1910), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Chacewater is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Chacewater is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Chacewater is available on-line from
the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Chacewater is available on-line from
the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. Chacewater is in the Deanery of Powder; this ecclesiastical district was
formed out of the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea in 1837. The parish church is
located in OS Grid Square SW7544. It was built in 1828 and was dedicated to St
Paul in 1837. The structure is a plain parallelogram and has little to commend
it architecturally. It comprises a chancel, nave, three capacious galleries,
and a vestry. At the west end stands a lofty tower of four stages, finished
with battlements. In the middle of the 19th century, the church was slightly
damaged by lightning, and in February 1866 the north-west corner of the church
was greatly damaged by the same thunderstorm which nearly destroyed the church
at Mabe. In 1892, the Church was rebuilt and completed from the design of
Edward Sedding of Plymouth. St Paul's Church was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Truro on December
10th of that year.
Details about the plans of the existing church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here built in 1832, another was built by the Primitive Methodists, and one for the Bible Christians.
Chacewater Methodist Chapel was shut in 2002. The Chapel was declared too
dangerous to be used by the congregation following an inspection by a surveyor
called in as part of the Planning Application to Carrick District Council to
replace the building. In the surveyor's professional opinion the risk to users
was too great and the minister said it would be too expensive to repair the
building for long-term future use due to the major problems found; which
included a collapsed floor, flooding and questions over the foundations.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1828 - 1964, Burials 1828 -
Marriages 1837 - 1974
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of 1813-37 Burials in the parish.
- LaVelda Faull of Glasgow, KY, USA. has transcribed some entries from the
Parish Register of the Chapelry of Chacewater, which was originally in Kenwyn
- Baptisms in the parish church 1824 to 1912 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Chacewater Wesleyan Methodist baptisms 1880 to 1901 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Banns. Banns 1891 to 1912 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages in the parish church 1837 to 1899 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials in the parish church 1828 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Chacewater has been in the Truro
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Pictures of
Chacewater are available on-line.
- There is also a website devoted to
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Chacewater parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish of Chacewater was created in 1828 from part of Kea parish;
before that date population figures were included under Kea. In 1831 and 1841, the population was counted as part of Kenwyn.
- Population in 1831 - counted as part of Kenwyn
- Population in 1841 - counted as part of Kenwyn
- Population in 1851 - 4267 persons
- Population in 1861 - 4629 persons
- Population in 1871 - 3648 persons
- Population in 1881 - 3558 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2053 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1805 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1410 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1298 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1338 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1231 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1270 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1325 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1510 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1479 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1517 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1580 persons
The Chacewater Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.
The parish comprises 2382 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.