GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Kea

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Kea (Cornish: Lanndyge), (alias Landege or Landegey), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Kenwyn, on the east by the River Fal, which separates it from St Clements and St Michael Penkivel, on the south by Feock, Perranarworthal, and Gwennap, and on the west by a fetched portion of Kenwyn and St Agnes. The name is taken from an Irish Saint Kea who, after floating from Ireland on a granite boulder, is reputed to have landed where old Kea church stood.

The parish is mainly agricultural, and is noted for giving its name to the damson-type Kea plum. In the past the main industries were plum growing, oyster dredging, resin for the leather industry (obtained from 'barking' oak trees), and the production of mineral ore. Killiow was the seat of the Daubuz family. St Kea is in the Deanery of Powder; Kea is a large straggling parish formerly abounding in mines. The little village of Calenick was partly in this parish and partly in Kenwyn. Smelting was an industry which once took place in Calenick.

Two parishes were created from parts of Kea parish - Chacewater in 1828 and Baldhu in 1847.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

After floating from Ireland on a granite boulder, the Irish St Kea, is reputed to have landed where Old Kea church stood.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Kea has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is on-line, from where he can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Kea ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Two parishes were created from parts of this parish - Chacewater in 1828 and Baldhu in 1847.

  • Population in 1801 - 2440 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 2766 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 3142 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 3837 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 4313 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 3790 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 3949 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 3363 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1944 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2103 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1818 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1687 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1609 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1649 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1349 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1504 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1613 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1575 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1457 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1516 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1512 persons

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Kea are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Societies

The Kea Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 5957 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.