The parish of Marazion, (Cornish: Marghasyow), is located on the south-west coast of Cornwall
directly opposite St Michael's Mount. The parish was created in 1813 from St Hilary
parish. Its modern name derives from the important fairs and markets that were held here. The origin of name, "marghas byghan", means 'little
market' and "marghas Yow", or Jew (Thursday Market). Time has blurred the pronunciations to Marazion.
The town of Marazion is situated on the shore of Mount's Bay.
The oldest record in which it is named is a charter of Richard, King of the
Romans and Earl of Cornwall, circa 1250, where it is called Marhasgon.
As already stated, it has also been known as Margas-jewe or Marhas-gou, Markasion.
The appellation of Market-Jew has led to the supposition that it once had a
market, chiefly attended by foreign Jews, for the purchasing of
This quaint town can claim to be the oldest town in Britain, called
Ictis by the Romans. In 1170, it was sending two members to Parliament
in London; this continued until the dissolution of the Priory of the Mount. The first charter of incorporation was granted by Henry III in 1257. This charter of incorporation was reaffirmed by Elizabeth I on 13th June 1595. This permitted a mayor, eight aldermen and twelve capital burgesses. It also granted a market on Saturdays, and a fair on 11th June and another on 30th
November. It appears that at that time, the town was run-down having been laid
waste during a rebellion in the time of the reign of Elizabeth's brother,
King Edward VI. Marazion was the major town in West Cornwall until the late medieval period when it was overtaken by Penzance.
Towards the end of the 18th century, the town was prospering and
villa residences were being built, which increased in number during the 19th
century. The town was surrounded by many mines, some having such enigmatic names as Wheal Prosper, Wheal Crab, Wheal Rodney, Tolvadden and South Neptune. These and other mines in the area remained active until the depression in the tin and copper industries in the late 19th century. Some of these mine names are still preserved in some form or other today.
Marazion has always attracted visitors; many came as pilgrims to the Benedictine Monastery or Priory on St Michael's Mount, and who stayed in the town until the causeway was revealed by the ebbing tide. Nowadays, it is possible to walk or take a ferry, depending upon the
tide, to St Michael's Mount - the island home of the St Aubyn family.
Interest is centred on the excellent beach and the splendid sailing and
windsurfing waters, but there are also some lovely coastal and inland
walks. When the priory was founded on St Michaels Mount in the tenth century,
both Marazion and the Mount were thriving ports, and even as late as the
eighteenth century there was a trade in cured fish, tin, copper and
The mild climate has encouraged an important local agricultural industry; crops such as potato and broccoli can be harvested early in the season. Bulbs and flowers are another major part of the local economy and wild flowers add to the beauty of the stone-hedged fields. At the start of the 21st century, Marazion still attracts many tourists who are drawn to visiting St Michael's Mount.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Cornwall
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841, Marazion was enumerated as part of St Hilary.
- The 1851 Census of Marazion (HO107/1918), Enumeration
Districts 3a, 3b and 3c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Marazion is listed in
Volume 26. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which
it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Marazion (RG9/1591), Enumeration
Districts 1, 2 [including Merchant Shipping], and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Marazion (RG11/2343), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Marazion (RG12/1855), Enumeration
District 1 to 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW5130 and was dedicated to All Saints. There was an old church which was dedicated to St Hermes, and a licence was granted from Bishop Stapeldon on 22nd March 1309 to have divine
services on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
A new church was built in
1861 to replace the former one which had become dilapidated. It comprises a
chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. The chancel has a
polygonal, buttressed apse of five sides, each side having a single light
window, three of which are filled with painted glass. The nave is separated
from the aisles by arcades of four pointed arches each, springing from moulded
caps and octagonal pillars, made from Bath stone.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels for
the Wesleyan Methodists, United Methodist Free Church, Bible Christians and
- LDS Church Records. This parish is NOT included in the LDS Church's
International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1813 - 1979, Burials 1813 -
1944, Marriages 1813 - 1944.
- Baptisms 1841 to 1902 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Baptisms in the Marazion Methodist Circuit 1884 to 1891, baptisms in the Marazion Wesleyan circuit 1868 to 1910, and baptisms in the Marazion Ebenezer chapel 1875 to 1902, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility (C-PROP).
- Baptisms at Marazion 1841 to 1902 are available online courtesy of the OPC.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1813 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1841 to 1900) of the Marazion Methodist Circuit and baptisms (1877 to 1900) of the Marazion Ebenezer Chapel. Areas include: Marazion, St Hilary, Ludgvan, Germoe, St Erth, Breage, Gulval, and Goldsithney.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Lelant, Ludgvan and St Erth Chapels. These comprise baptisms (1855 to 1900) for Chyangwheal, Hayle Foundry, Ludgvan & St Erth Chapels (Ludgvan Chapel Register is called "Marazion Wesleyan Circuit from 1883". St Ives, Penzance, Towednack, Lelant, and Ludgvan). The areas cover Lelant, Breage, Crowan, St Erth, Hayle, Ludgvan, St Hilary, Germoe and Marazion.
- Marriages. Marriages 1838 to 1912 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Marazion has been in the Penzance
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives
and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- The The History of Mount's Bay, comprising Saint Michael's Mount, Marazion, Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, &c, &c. is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society. It was published by J. Thomas,in 1820.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- There is a civic website for Marazion.
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- There is a genealogical website which covers Marazion.
- There is also a a message board on the website. It is only for those with a genealogical interest within the area of St Hilary, Germoe, Marazion and St Michael's Mount.
Marazion parish was part of the Penzance
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish was created from part of St Hilary parish in 1813.
- Population in 1821 - 1253 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1393 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1682 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1379 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1037 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1255 persons,
plus 12 on shipping
- Population in 1881 - 1294 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1342 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1251 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1237 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1126 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1126 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1293 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1352 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1475 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1400 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1395 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1466 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1440 persons
Wills & Admons
for St Hilary and Marazion parishes, 1660-1730 are available on-line.
The parish comprises 716 acres of land, 3 acres of water and 78 acres of
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.