Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Redruth St Uny
St Uny, (Cornish: Rysrudh Sen Uni), is the original church of Redruth town parish. However as Redruth grew into a town, the church and its supporting civil administration proved too small for the increasing population, so the parish was sub-divided to make administration and support more effective.
Redruth, St Uny ecclesiastical parish was created from the remaining part of the original Redruth parish in 1884, when that original parish was divided. (See also Treleigh created 1871, and Redruth St Andrew created in 1883).
The parish name is sometimes spelled St Euny. The origin of the name Redruth is believed to be 'red ford', from the Cornish rys or rid meaning red, and rudh meaning ford. In the past the town of Redruth and its neighbour, Camborne, served the important areas of tin mining area in south-west Cornwall. There has been a long tradition of rivalry between the two towns. In the early days of mining Redruth thought it was a cut above Camborne, because it was the place where the better classes lived. Today Redruth is a small industrial and commercial centre that is by-passed by the A30 trunk road.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Transcriptions from St Euny cemetery, Redruth, are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site.
Census information for this parish is included under Redruth Town
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6941 and was dedicated to St Uny. The feast day of St Uny is the first Sunday after 1st February.
The church, which was built in 1768 on the site of a former one, consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The three roofs of the church are concealed by a richly-coffered ceiling supported on eight tuscan columns; four on each side. There are four entrances - two on the north and two on the south. The church is built throughout of granite ashlar. The fine old tower belonged to the previous church; it has three stages and is substantially buttressed at the square of the angles. The parapet is embattled, having at the corners lofty crocketed pinnacles, with square panelled bases. The belfry contains six bells.
In 1871 the church was thoroughly renovated, when the west gallery was removed and the church re-floored and re-seated. At the same time the east end was raised to form a chancel, the tower arch was opened and the bells re-hung. The organ was placed in 1882. The baptism registers date from 1560, the marriages from 1652 and the burials from 1562.
There was a chapel-of-ease erected in Chapel Street in 1828.
- Quakers. The Society of Friends (Quakers) had a Meeting House within this parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- For LDS Church batch numbers for Redruth - see under Redruth Town.
- The IGI coverage for Redruth is 1560 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1560 - 1908, Burials 1562 - 1969, Marriages 1615 - 1972, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1837, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1817 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Quaker Meeting House - 77 entries
- On-line parish registers 1560 to 1716 for Redruth are available.
- The parish registers of Redruth in Cornwall, 1560-1716 are also available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society. These relate to the registers of St Uny church only, and were published by Hoblyn & Taylor in 1894.
- Baptisms 1878 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has published a list of late baptisms at Redruth (born before 1912 but baptised after 1912) which are on-line.
- Burials 1887 to 1902 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD format.
The ecclesiastical parish is part of Redruth Town for civil purposes.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Redruth St Uny which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW691412 (Lat/Lon: 50.225551, -5.238667), Redruth St Uny which are provided by:
Redruth St Uny parish became part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
St Uny parish was created from part of Redruth parish in 1884; for population figures - see under Redruth Town.