The parish of St
Cleer, (Cornish: Ryskaradek), is named after its patron, Saint Clarus. It is situated in the
Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by Altarnun and North
Hill, on the east by Linkinhorne and St Ive, on the south by Menheniot amd
Liskeard, and on the west by St Neot from which it is separated by the River
Fowey. It was once a mining parish where 'On Saturday nights after pay-day,
the populous villages of Caradon Town, Pensilva, Minions and Crows Nest were
crowded with men, and resembled in character the mining camps of Colorado and
the Far West' (of the USA). (A.K. Hamilton Jenkin.
About a mile to the
north of the Church stands the Trevetheye Quoit (Stone).
This primitive unwrought monument has occupied its present position for over
2000 years. It is of granite and consists of six upright stones and one large
slab covering them in an inclined position. Its place name of Trevethy, Trevedi
or Trevithy signifying, in the Cornish language, 'the place of the
graves', indicating it was once a burial chamber from the Bronze
Although a great part of the parish consists of wild and extensive
moors and commons, there are a number of good and well-cultivated estates in
it. St Cleer was once an eminent mining parish with some of the richest and
best-paying mines in Cornwall. It is now a dormitory area within Caradon District
Council; the vast majority of the inhabitants are commuters to Liskeard or
Plymouth. Besides the Churchtown, the main villages are Tremar, Tremar Coom,
Common Moor, Railway Terrace (now known as Darite), and Crow's Nest.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- St Cleer was quite a large parish so some people were buried at St
Neot churchyard as it was closer (and some from St Neot were buried at St Cleer). There is also a Bible Christian Chapel on the Outskirts of St Cleer which has a few graves.
- Some individuals from St Cleer/St Neot area were buried at the Trenant Bible Christian Chapel in St Neot. St Cleer also has a large Non-Conformist Cemetery close to the school. Details about the St Cleer General Cemetery, including the Burial Books from 1860, a graveyard plan and some photographs of individual gravestone, are available on-line. The cemetery accommodates both nonconformist and other sects.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published St Cleer General Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions on CD. The CD consists of 696 pictures of headstones with an index and full information, a map and section photographs, 2511 burial book entries including those without headstones, and the War Memorial with personal details and service information (where possible) of 36 men who died in both World Wars.
- Some transcriptions from the St Cleer churchyard are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- General. St. Cleer residents, in different censuses, are listed in a unique database made available by the OPC.
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Cleer (HO107/153), Enumeration
Districts 10 to 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Cleer (RG9/1528) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Cleer is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
Project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Cleer (RG11/2285), Enumeration
District 4 to 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Cleer (RG12/1810) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2468 and was dedicated to St Clarus - an English missionary who was martyred near the River Epte in Normandy in 894. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The north
arcade has large segmental arches supported by octagonal pillars with plain
caps. The south has similar arches supported by clustered columns with richly
sculpured capitals. The font is of early English character with some Norman
features. There is a south porch, a chancel door and a good early Norman
doorway on the north side, ornamented on the outside with a zig-zag moulding.
The tower is one of the handsomest granite structures in the county; it is 97
feet high, of three stages and buttressed on the square. It contains six bells.
The church underwent a major reconstruction during the early part of the 19th
- Non-Conformist. There were many Non-Conformist chapels in the area:
Most of these chapels survive as they have been converted to dwellings, but a few
had their own burial grounds.
- St Cleer Village. Bible Christian's had a chapel built on the west of the village in 1836 is now disused and falling into disrepair. In the tiny yard at the front are several burials with memorial stones. There was also a Free Methodist chapel in
the centre of the village which was converted to a dwelling some time ago.
- Tremar Coombe. This had a Wesleyan Reform and a Primitive Methodist
- Tremar. There was a Wesleyan Chapel here.
- Darite (Railway Terrace). Darite had a Bible Christian Chapel.
- Crows Nest. Crows Nest had a Wesleyan Chapel.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Cleer are: C053091, C026401. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1597 - 1837; it is NOT
believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International
Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1678 - 1838, Burials 1675 - 1911,
Marriages 1678 - 1968, Boyd's Marriage Index 1678 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1597 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line baptism records for St Cleer parish 1740 to 1843.
- The OPC has placed on-line baptisms at St Cleer as follows:
- The OPC has also produced a list, searchable by surname, for baptisms in St Cleer 1597 to 1959.
- The Parish Chest have published on CD baptisms 1740 to 1843 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published baptisms (1846 to 1900) and burials (1851 to 1900) of Altarnun, Lewannick and St Cleer Methodist Chapels on CD. Altarnun, Bowithick, Crow's Nest, Hockings House, Polyphant, St Cleer and Travadlock Cross Chapels. Areas include: Altarnun, Lewannick, St Cleer and St Clether.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Linkinhorne Chapels. These comprise Rilla Mill Wesleyan Chapel baptisms (1841 to 1900), Lanhargy Wesleyan Chapel baptisms (1871-1900) and Darley United Methodist Chapel baptisms 1837-1900). The areas cover Linkinhorne, Breage, St Cleer, North Hill, St Ive, Stoke Climsland and South Hill.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Bible Christian Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1837 to 1900). The areas cover Liskeard, St Ive, St Cleer, Altarnun, Menheniot, St Neot, Broadoak, and certain other parishes.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Primitive Methodist Circuit. These comprise Liskeard Primitive Methodist Circuit baptisms 1856 to 1900 and Greenbank Chapel baptisms 1870 - 1900. The areas cover Liskeard, St Ive, St Cleer, Menheniot, Callington, Calstock, Lezant, Linkinhorne and Landrake.
- Burials 1597 to 1936 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Entries from the Burial Books of St Cleer General cemetery, including a graveyard plan and some photographs of individual gravestone, are available on-line. The cemetery was opened in 1860 for Non-conformist, and other sects alike.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1597 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has placed on-line burials at St Cleer as follows:
- The OPC has also produced a list, searchable by surname, for burials in St Cleer 1597 to 1901.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Primitive Methodist Circuit. These include Trenant Chapel burials 1843 - 1900. The areas cover Liskeard, St Ive, St Cleer, Menheniot, Callington, Calstock, Lezant, Linkinhorne and Landrake.
The parish of St Cleer has always been in the Liskeard
Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin,
Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Cleer ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for St Cleer to assist those researching their ancestry.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
The Muster Rolls for 1569, in respect of St Cleer, are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.
- Information about the Caradon and Liskeard Mines is available on-line.
- Apprenticeship Indentures for St Cleer (1768 - 1841) can be found in the Cornwall
- St Cleer parish was part of the Liskeard
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1772 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1741 to 1862) and Bastardy Bonds (1792 to 1834), are available in the Cornwall
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
- Population in 1801 - 774 persons
- Population in 1811 - 780 persons
- Population in 1821 - 985 persons
- Population in 1831 - 982 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1412 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2343 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3931 persons
- Population in 1871 - 3835 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2865 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2124 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1652 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1648 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1585 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1516 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1616 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1524 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1802 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2580
persons, including 2015 persons in St Cleer & Tremar Villages
- Population in
1991 - 3100 persons, including 2470 persons in St Cleer & Tremar
- Population in 2001 - 3257 persons
- Population in 2011 - 3339 persons
The parish comprised 10927 acres of land and 16 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2002-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.