GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

St Minver

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of St Minver is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor, and the Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by the sea, on the east by Endellion and St Kew, and on the south and west by the River Camel and Padstow Harbour, which separates it from the parishes of St Breock, St Issey and Padstow. The parish is named after St Menwreda (Mynfreda or Minefreda), the patron saint of the Church, and the sister of St Nectanus, St Tetha, and several others, all of whom were believed to be some of the 24 children of King Broccan.

St Minver is first mentioned in episcopal records in 1269. This parish is on the eastern side of the Camel estuary, and the pleasant village is dominated by the tall spire of the Church. The parish is nominally divided into the Highlands and Lowlands; the parish mother Church being situated in the former, and the two chapels-of-ease called St Enodoc and St Michael's, were in the latter. A town is said once to have stood between St Michael's Church and St Enodoc. In 1778, in consequence of the shifting sands, a chapel amd cemetery were discovered at what is now a place called Rock, and many slate coffins and human bones, were exposed. Spoons, utensils, rings and other ornaments were found, together with a quantity of English coins of various reigns, especially from Henry I to Elizabeth I.

The principal villages are the Churchtown, Rock, Tredrissick, Trevanger, and Penmean. North of St Minver is the 'scattered' village of Trebetherick, which is close to Polzeath with its magnificent view of Pentire Point. Bronze Age and Roman artefacts have been found in this area.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of St Minver is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

History

Various histories of St Minver parish , are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Minver ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Extracts, relating to St Minver Parish or St Minver folk, have been taken from the West Briton Newspaper. These are on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for St Minver (1802 - 1829) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

St Minver parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

From 1881, population totals are divided in the Highlands and Lowlands area of the parish.

  • Population in 1801 - 788 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 851 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1028 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1110 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1139 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1225 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1112 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 989 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 989 (586 persons in the Highlands, and 421 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1891 - 989 persons (515 persons in the Highlands, and 352 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1901 - 822 persons (471 persons in the Highlands, and 351 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1911 - 928 persons (491 persons in the Highlands, and 437 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1921 - 1161 persons (579 persons in the Highlands, and 582 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1931 - 1429 persons (724 persons in the Highlands, and 705 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1951 - 2022 persons (839 persons in the Highlands, and 1183 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1961 - 1916 persons (776 persons in the Highlands, and 1140 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1971 - 1826 persons (678 persons in the Highlands, and 1148 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1981 - 2105 persons (735 persons in the Highlands, and 1370 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 1991 - 2210 persons. (825 persons in the Highlands, and 1385 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 2001 - 2474 persons. (1025 persons in the Highlands, and 1449 in the Lowlands)
  • Population in 2011 - 2393 persons. (982 persons in the Highlands, and 1635 in the Lowlands)

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Some St Minver Wills in the 17th to 19th centuries are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 7621 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.