The parish of Stratton, (Cornish: Strasnedh), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the
Hundred of Stratton. It is bounded on the north by Poughill, on the east by
Launcells, on the south by Marhamchurch, and on the west by the sea. The village of Stratton lies a mile
to the east of Bude, (which is also called Bude Haven or Budeham). and is located on the north coast of Cornwall.
When the coastal area of Bude was separated from the original parish of Bude-Stratton in 1836, the remainder (to
the east of Bude) became the parish of Stratton. The origin of name is said to
have derived from the Cornish, meaning 'valley of the River Neet';
the English ton has been added later. However, a more plausible
explanation, for the name (which is of great antiquity having been given in
Saxon times to the Hundred in which it lies) is that it is derived from the
Roman road or Street near which it stands. Towns so situated are
traditionally called street-towns or strettons.
About half a mile west of the town are the remains of Binhamy Castle.
was originally called Bude-Stratton. Although the two parishes ofBude Haven and Stratton were
separated from each other in 1836, the two parish now once again now form the
one civil parish of 'Bude-Stratton'.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 988 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1851 Census of Stratton (HO107/1897), Enumeration
Districts 2a and 2c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Stratton is listed in
Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Stratton (RG9/1513), Enumeration
District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Stratton is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. he 1881 Census of Stratton (RG11/2270), Enumeration
Districts 2 [including Hospitals and Workhouses] and 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Stratton (RG12/1797) is available on-line from the
Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SS2306 and was dedicated to St Andrew.
However, Bishop Lacy's register (1430) gives St Christina. The
church is an ancient building of stone in the early English and perpendicular styles; it comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has six
four-centred arches supported on granite pillars; the north has six irregular
arches, chiefly supported on polyphant pillars, one only being of granite. The
chief entrances are a south porch and a priest's door. The tower has three
stages and is finished with battlements and stately pinnacles; it is buttressed
on the square with angular buttresses. There are eight bells, all cast in 1778. The church was restored in 1878. The registers date from 1687 and contains an entry for Elizabeth Cornish who was buried on 10th March 1691, aged 113 years!
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, opened in 1837, and another for the Wesleyan Methodist Free Church, built in 1838, within the parish. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Brush which was built in 1869.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Stratton are: C073481, C042981. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1611 - 1860; it is NOT
believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1687 - 1980, Burials 1687 - 1978,
Marriages 1687 - 1989, Boyd's Marriage Index 1611 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1611 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of baptisms 1679 to 1805, and parish transcripts 1687 to 1901, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1686 to 1840 for this parish.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1611 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1687 to 1812, Bishop's transcripts (BTs) 1679 to 1805, and transcripts of marriages 1759 to 1911, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
- Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of burials 1679 to 1805, and parish transcripts 1687 to 1901, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Stratton is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Kilkhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Stratton are available on-line.
- More pictures of Stratton are available courtesy of Steve Potter.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Stratton ecclesiastical parish:
- Stratton (Stratona, Stratone), Grid Reference 231064.
In 1547, some 153 persons died in the town of the plague. In 1729, of 49
people buried, 42 of them died of the smallpox.
Stratton parish was part of the Stratton
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Bude Haven was separated from part
of this parish in 1836. However, the two parishes came again together as
'Bude-Stratton' civil parish.
- Population in 1801 - 960 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1094 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1580 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1613 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1941 persons, plus 19 persons on Stratton
- Population in 1851 - 1026 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1755 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1808 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1794 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1788 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2308 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2976 persons
- Population in 1921 - 3958 persons
- Population in 1931 - 3836 persons
- Population in 1951 - 5224 persons
- Population in 1961 - 5124 persons
- Population in 1971 - 5643 persons
- Population in 1981 - 6765 persons
- Population in 1991 - 8125 persons
- Population in 2001 - 9242 persons (Bude-Stratton)
- Population in 2011 - 9979 persons (Bude-Stratton)
Bude/Stratton & District Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.
The parish comprised 2653 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 30th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.