Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Treleigh, (Cornish: Trelegh), is an ecclesiastical district within the civil parish of Redruth, in the Hundred of Penwith and the Deanery of Carnmarth. It is located in an area north of Redruth where there originally were no large villages, just a few scattered houses and farms. It is close to North Country, an area between Redruth and Mount Hawke. There was no heavy through-traffic so it was relatively peaceful compared to Redruth. It is now very close to the modern A30 highway.
The parish was created from part of the original Redruth parish in 1871.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Memorial inscriptions from the Treleigh cemeteries, and recorded by the CORNWALL INSCRIPTIONS PROJECT, found 1501 memorials with 2957 names.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church, and which are also on-line.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Treleigh was enumerated as part of Redruth.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Treleigh (HO 107/1915), Enumeration Districts 1m and 1n, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Treleigh (RG9/1580), Enumeration Districts 14 to 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Treleigh (RG10/2318), Enumeration Districts 14 to 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Treleigh (RG11/2231), Enumeration Districts 14 to 17, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Treleigh (RG12/1847) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. Before the parish church was built, a Blacksmith's shop, (attached to Treleigh mine), was used by those worshipping.
The ecclesiastical district (parish) was first gazetted on 9th January 1846, and the first vicar was instituted in 1848.
The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7043 and was consecrated in the name of St Stephen on 26th September 1866. The church is situated about a mile to the north of Redruth town centre. It consists of an apsidal chancel, nave, north and south transepts, and a vestry. An organ was introduced in 1883. Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in the parish are not yet known.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1862 - 1952, Burials 1866 - 1940, Marriages 1866 - 1949.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1862 to 1910 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriagess 1866 to 1909 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1866 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Treleigh was originally in the Redruth Registration District when it was created. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have now been abolished. It is now part of the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Treleigh are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Treleigh which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW704435 (Lat/Lon: 50.246710, -5.221864), Treleigh which are provided by:
Treleigh parish was incorporated into the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief when it was created.
Treleigh has always been enumerated as part of Redruth Town.
- Population in 1871 - 2106 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1802 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1869 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1696 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1829 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1794 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2050 persons
- Population in 1951 - 2420 persons
- Population in 1961 - 360 persons
- Population in 1971 - 390 persons
- Population in 1981 - 0 persons
- Population in 1991 - 0 persons
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
- Population in 2011 - 0 persons
The parish comprises 2200 acres of land.