Whitstone, (Cornish: Mengwynn), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of Stratton.
It is bounded on the north by Marhamchurch and Bridgerule West, on the east by
the River Tamar which separates it from Bridgerule East, Pyworthy and the
detached part of Bridgerule, all in Devon, on the south by North Tamerton and
Week St Mary, and on the west by Week St Mary. The parish name is of English
origin; it stems from 'white stone'.
The parish is located on the
Devon border; it is traversed by the B3254 which connects Launceston to
Kilkhampton. The village of Whitstone is surrounded by small hamlets such as
Boot, Foxton, East and West Balsdon. Whitstone is near the River Tamar
The Cornwall Family History
have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 321 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Whitstone (HO107/151), Enumeration
Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1851 Census of Whitstone (HO107/1897), Enumeration
Districts 1a, and 1b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Part of the 1851 Census of Whitstone is also available from the West-Penwith resources as part of the 1851 British Census 2% sample - Cornwall.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Whitstone is listed in
Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Whitstone (RG9/1514), Enumeration
District 9A and 10A, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Whitstone (RG11/2271), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Whitstone (RG12/1798), Enumeration
Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX2698 and was dedicated to St Nicholas
or St Anne. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The
north arcade has five four-centred arches, and the south four obtuse
four-centred arches; all are supported on monolith granite pillars. The
entrances are a south porch, and a priest's door; the north door
communicates with a sort of vestry. The tower has four low stages and,
including pinnacles, is 56 feet high. It contains five bells.
to the Church is marked by a large granite rock, faced and engraved in large
letters 'Gods Acre' followed by a verse. The Church sits on the hill side with
most of the grave stones looking down to the church. The tall tapering tower is
of the fifteenth century, there are ancient timbers in the aisles and roof. A
chair made of bench ends and a Norman font which is engraved with trailing
Here can be seen one of the oldest slate memorials in Cornwall with an
inscription to a priest of 1535. Below the church is what appears to be a Holy
spring with crystal clear water, inside in the back wall is a niche with a
strange carved head above. The niche had small loose stone in it, could this be
a form of wishing well where you throw a stone into the niche and, if it
remains there, your wish is granted! This is similar to the custom at
Launceston St. Mary Magdalane's.
- Non-Conformist. At Whitstone, there is a Bible Christian chapel, and a Methodist Chapel.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1663 - 1981, Burials 1663 - 1963,
Marriages 1663 - 1977, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society
have published transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Marriages 1663 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1598 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Whitstone is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Whitstone are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Whitstone ecclesiastical parish:
Whitstone parish was part of the Stratton
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 345 persons
- Population in 1811 - 397 persons
- Population in 1821 - 466 persons
- Population in 1831 - 481 persons
- Population in 1841 - 466 persons
- Population in 1851 - 425 persons
- Population in 1861 - 391 persons
- Population in 1871 - 409 persons
- Population in 1881 - 410 persons
- Population in 1891 - 394 persons
- Population in 1901 - 364 persons
- Population in 1911 - 364 persons
- Population in 1921 - 361 persons
- Population in 1931 - 337 persons
- Population in 1951 - 375 persons
- Population in 1961 - 350 persons
- Population in 1971 - 290 persons
- Population in 1981 - 360 persons
- Population in 1991 - 430 persons
- Population in 2001 - 582 persons
- Population in 2011 - 590 persons
The parish comprises 3921 acres of land and 11 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 25th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.