We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


  • The Bugsworth Cemetery was built in 1879 initially for the Church of England only.


  • The parish was in the Chapel en le Frith sub-district of the Chapel en le Frith Registration District.

  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:

Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2548
1891 R.G. 12 / 2780 & 2781

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.

  • The church was built in 1874.

  • The church seats about 200.

  • There is a church website for St. James Church, but it includes very little history.

Church Records

  • The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1876.

  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Primitive Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2012.

  • Congregationalists also worshiped here in 1891 using a local schoolroom as a meeting place.

  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Congregationalist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2012.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

  • The parish was in the Chapel en le Frith sub-district of the Chapel en le Frith Registration District.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Bugsworth which are provided by:
"BUGSWORTH, a township with Chinley, in the parish of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 3 miles to the N.W. of Chapel-en-le-Frith."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]



  • "A hamlet, 3 miles W. from Chapel-en-le Frith. A school was erected in 1826, which is also licensed as a dissenting place of worship." [Ex. Harrison, Harrop & Co.'s Directory & Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860]


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Bugsworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • The Navigation Inn has been a place to catch up on tha latest local gossip for over 200 years.

  • John TUSTIN has a photograph of the Navigation Inn on Geo-graph, taken in 2010.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK027818 (Lat/Lon: 53.333092, -1.960924), Bugsworth which are provided by:

Military History

Military Records

  • Marjorie WARD provides this list of names from the War Memorial in a pop-up text file.

Names, Geographical

The name of Bugsworth derives from one Ralph Bugge, of Nottingham, an erstwhile woollen trader, who diversified into lead mining in Derbyshire, becoming Bailiff of the Forest in the Peak in 1250. His enclosure, land bounded by the Wye, Etherow, Goyt and Derwent rivers, became known as Buggesworth; the 'ge' was slowly dropped during the 17th century, becoming 'standardised' in the 19th century as Bugsworth.

Attempts to change the name, prompted by the villagers' rebellion against a town named after 'bugs', or pestilence, began in 1874. The names 'Lymedale', or 'Limedale' were proposed; Buxworth was suggested as early as 1900-01, but it wasn't until 1929/30 that agreement locally was reached, and 1935 before the name was changed officially by the Derbyshire County Council to Buxworth.

Due to either a late-1990s embracing of all things 'organic', bugs and all, or the perverseness of human nature, an attempt was made to rename the village to Bugsworth for the Millennium, which went so far as a village referendum taking place. The change has apparently been rejected, at least for now...

A series of articles by Keith Holford about the change of name have been published in the Derbyshire Family History Society Journal, Branch News, Issue 91, Dec 1999, pp30-31; Issue 92, Mar 2000, pp28-30; Issue 93, June 2000, pp26-27; Issue 96, Mar 2001, pp23-25, to which I am indebted for the factual information in the above brief summary.

Accoring to Wikipedia, locals refer to the place as "Buggy".

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Glossop parish in Derby county and it was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.

  • This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chapel-en-le-Frith petty session hearings once each month.

  • As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Chapel en le Frith Poorlaw Union.