"CLAYCROSS, (or Claylane) a township in the parish of North Wingfield, in the hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby, 5 miles S. of Chesterfield, its post town. It is a station on the Midland railway. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £60, to which the Claycross Coal Company make a grant of £50, in the patronage of the Rector of North Wingfield. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was erected by subscription in 1851. It is a handsome stone edifice in the early English style."