"EDENSOR-WITH-CHATSWORTH and PILSLEY hamlet forming a parish, in the hundred of High Peak, is remarkable as containing one of the wonders of the Peak, viz. the splendid seat of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, which is situate about four miles N. E. of Bakewell. The house is built in the ionic order, with a flat roof, surrounded by a neat balustrade; its form is nearly a square, of about 190 feet surrounding a spacious quadrangular court, having a fountain in the centre, surmounted by a Statue of Orpheus. The principal entrance, on the west is by a noble flight of steps to a terrace, the whole length of the building; the fronts which form the quadrangle are decorated with rich sculptures, representing military trophies."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
You can see pictures of Edensor which are provided by:
Many local craftsmen and artisans would have been employed at Chatsworth. One such was John GARDOM, an ironsmith of Baslow, who worked as an assistant to Jean Tijou, the French master ironsmith employed at Chatsworth. GARDOM is also believed to have been responsible for the garden gates at Beauchief Hall, and for the garden ironwork at Hassop Hall. (Ref: A History of Derbyshire, Gladwyn TURBUTT, 1999)