ILKESTON, Derbyshire

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2436 and 2437
1891 R.G. 12 / 2664 thru 2666
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"ILKESTON is small, improving market-town, and watering place, of modern date, in the parish of its name and hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, about nine miles and a half N. E. from Derby, eight W. by N. from Nottingham, nearly 15 S. by W. from Mansfield, and ten S.E. from Belper. It stands on an elevated site near the river Erewash, commanding beautiful prospects in every direction, and its situation is considered remarkably healthy. Both the Erewash and the Nutbrook canals pass through the parish, affording a communication with the rivers Trent and Mersey. This place was anciently called Elchestane, and obtained a grant for a market and fair so early as 1251."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish is about 125 miles north of the city of London. The parish contains the hamlet of Hallam Fields 2 miles south-east of the town. Garth NEWTON has a photograph of the Ilkeston Market Place on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2003.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Medical Records

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

One name on the memorial is: Thomas John FRISBY, died 1915.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Ilkeston/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.