"MARPLE and MARPLE BRIDGE, commonly called Upper and Nether Marple, (Nether Marple, or Marple Bridge, being situate in the county of Derby), form a chapelry in the parish of Stockport, about five miles E.S.E. from that town, and 12 from Manchester. The spinning of cotton, bleaching, and calico printing, are carried on to some extent in the chapelry and neighbourbood, and upon the river Goyt are some corn mills."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Marple Bridge is on the east bank of the River Goyt.
Marple Bridge is today considered a part of Manchester. The village centre has been designated a Conservation Area.