Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Osmaston (by Derby) - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 101: DERBY]
Osmaston, is situated about three miles from Derby, near the road to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. In the Domesday Survey, it is written Osmundestune, and no doubt it took its name from Osmund, the Saxon possessor, in the reign of Edward the Confessor. The manor was granted to Robert Holland, in 1307, as an appendage of Melbourn, with which manor it has passed ever since, and is now the property of the Marquis of Hastings. The principal estate here belongs to Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart., descended from a younger branch of the Wilmots of Chaddesden. Sir Nicholas Wilmot of Osmaston, Serjeant at law, in the reign of Charles II, was fourth son of Robert Wilmot, Esq., of Chaddeston, by the heiress of Shrigley. The late Sir Robert Wilmot, of Osmaston, was created a Baronet in 1772. Sir John Eardly Wilmot, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, who died in 1792, was of this branch of the family, being a younger son of Sir Nicholas Wilmot. Osmaston-hall, the seat of Sir Robert Wilmot, has been for a few years past unoccupied, during the present baronet's residence at Bath and on the continent. In the chapel at Osmaston, is the monument of Sir Nicholas Wilmot, Knt., who died in 1682, and that of Sir Robert Wilmot, the baronet, who died in November 1772. Robert de Dun, Lord of Breadsall, in the reign of Henry II, gave up all his right in the patronage of Osmaston chapel to the Abbot of Derley. Sir Robert Wilmot is the present patron. Robert Foucher or Folger founded a chantry in this chapel, in 1357, the endowment of which was, in 1547, valued at 60s 8d per annum.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann Ayars, 19-24th January 2002]