SPONDON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SPONDON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3¼ miles S.E. of Derby, its post town. It is a station on the Midland counties railway. The village is situated near the Derby canal and the river Derwent. The parish formerly included the chapelries of Stanley, Chaddesden, and Lockhay, but these have recently been erected into separate parishes. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills, and in framework knitting. The village, situated on an eminence overlooking the Vale of Derwent, is of considerable extent, and contains many good houses. The chief produce is cheese. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £162. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a spired tower and five bells. There is also a district church at Stanley, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £64. The parochial charities produce about £186 per annum, of which £17 go to Gilbert's school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel." "LOCKHAY, (or Locko) a chapelry in the parish of Spondon, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5 miles N. E. of Derby. Here was anciently a hospital of the order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem, which, on the suppression of alien priories, was given to the Society of King's Hall, Cambridge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]