- The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2749|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
- The church was built in 1859-60.
- The eclesiastical parish was established in 1861.
- The church seats 450.
- Mike BARDILL provides a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1861.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
- The Baptists had a chapel built here before 1868.
- David BEVIS provides a photograph of the Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2009.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here before 1891.
- David BEVIS also has a photograph of the Primitve Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2009.
- The Free Methodists had a chapel built here before 1891.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Alfreton sub-district of the Belper Registration District.br />
"SWANWICK is a hamlet, in the parish of Alfreton, about a mile and a half S.W. from that town. There are places of worship for baptists and Wesleyan methodists, and a free-school, erected and endowed in 1740 by Mrs. Elizabeth Turner. Population returned with the parish."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The name is pronounced "Swon-nick." The parish covers 965 acres.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Swanwick entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Swanwick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Swanwick Hayes, now a conference center, served as a prisoner of war camp for both German and Italian prisoners during WOrld War II.
- There is no evidence that this place was ever an ancient parish or modern Civil Parish. It appers to have been only an ecclesiastical parish of the Anglican church.
- This parish was partly in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Belper Poorlaw Union.