"WHITWELL is a parish, in the hundred of Scarsdale; the village is situate at the N.E. extremity of the county, and is twelve miles N.E. from Chesterfield. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Duke, and in the incumbency of the Rev. George Mason, of Cuckney, Nottinghamshire; the Rev. J. Harnage is the present curate."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is 4 miles west of Worksop and covers 4,880 acres.