"AWLISCOMBE, or Awlescombe, a small village, on an acclivity, 2½ miles W. by N. of Honiton, has in its parish 590 souls, and 2569 acres of land, rising in bold hills on the north, and including the hamlets Weston and Wolverston. It had a grant for a market and fair in 1291, but both have long been obsolete. An estate of about 207A., called the manor of Awliscombe, which was given in 1491, by Thos. Calwodeley, to the Corporation of Exeter, for the relief of poor citizens. The rest of the parish belongs to E.S. Drewe, Esq., J.T.B. Notley, Esq., E.W. Greenfield, Esq., the Pring family, and a few smaller freeholders. A handsome bridge, over the Otter, connects this and Honiton parish, and was built in 1817. The Church (St. Michael,) is a neat Gothic structure, which was mostly rebuilt in 1846, and has a tower and five bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hemyock Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.