"BERE FERRIS, or Bere Ferrers, commonly called Beer Town, is a small village on the western bank of the navigable river Tavy, about two miles above the confluence of the estuary of the Tamar, about 8 miles N. by W. of Plymouth, and 9½ miles S. of Tavistock. Its parish includes . . . many scattered farm houses, &c.; and contains 2142 inhabitants, and 5888 acres of fertile land, bounded on the east and west by the tidal waters of the Tamar and Tavy, and terminating at their point of confluence. Ii is noted for producing vast quantities of apples, cherries, strawberries, gooseberries, currants, &c., and the finest cider. . . . At Weir Quay are extensive smelting works, and in the neighbourhood are several lead and tin mines, yielding a large portion of silver, and employing above 1000 hands. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, mostly in the decorated style, and has an embattled tower. . . . BEER-ALSTON, a small ancient town and disfranchised borough, in the parish, is pleasantly situated on a gentle eminence, overlooking the vales of the Tamar and Tavy, on the east and west, and distant about 3 miles N. of the parish church. . . . Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1809; and also a small Wesleyan Chapel. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.