Bidlake as a name, first appears as a description of a Devon land area. A deed to Radus de Combe (Ralph of Combe) in 1168 is for land in the area known as Bidlake, and one of the witnesses to the deed was Nicholas of Bidlake. Their original seat was Combe or Combebow, in the parish of Bridestowe, where they had a mansion on a knoll of limestone rising out of a narrow valley. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the Harvard University Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.