"CLIST ST LAWRENCE, a small village in the deep and narrow valley of the small river Clist, 9 miles N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish only 168 souls, and 1060 acres of land. The manor and most of the soil belong to Elize Hele's Charity, . . . The manor was anciently held by the Valletorts, and afterwards by the Pollards and Heles. The Church (St. Lawrence,) is a Norman structure, with a tower and five bells, and was repaired in 1848, when the east window was enriched with stained glass. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has a handsomely carved and gilt screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 4s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £265, is in the patronage of Exeter Church Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. C.E. Walkey, B.A., who has a good modern residence, and 47A. 3R. 30P. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Cliston Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.