[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"DIPTFORD, a parish in the hundred of Stanborough, in the county of Devon, 5 miles S.W. of Totnes. It is situated on the river Avon, and near the road from Exeter to Plymouth. Slate for roofing is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £532, in the patronage of Miss C. Taylor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £53 per annum. There is a parochial school. Diptford is a meet for the South Devon harriers. A fair is held in June."