"ANSTEY, (EAST) is a small scattered village, among the high hills, near the borders of Somersetshire, 3½ miles W.S.W. of Dulverton, and 10 miles E. of South Molton. Its parish contains 240 souls, and 3245 acres of land, but only 2500 acres are tithable, and the greater part of the remainder is open moorland and plantations. The manor was dismembered many years ago, and the soil belongs to the Rev. John Froude, J.G. Pearse, A. Smith, T. Hole, J.H. Beadon, and H. Barnes, Esqrs.; Mrs. Fisher, the heirs of the late Lord Rolle, and a few smaller owners. The Barton is the seat of the Rev. John Froude, and was built in 1848, on the site of the old mansion. The Church (St. Michael,) is a small ancient building, with a tower and four bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.