"St. John's Church, Fore street hill, is a very ancient cemented structure, the tower of which has a peal of six bells, and a clock with two faces projecting into the street. The interior was beautified and fitted with galleries in 1843, when the Church of St. George the Martyr was taken down for the improvement of South street, and its parish united with St. John's. Here are several neat monuments, some of which were removed from St. George's, as also were five of the bells. The rectory of St. John's, valued in K.B. at £18, and that of St. George's, valued in K.B. at £9. 13s. 8d., are now consolidated, and worth about £300 per annum. The Lord Chancellor. is patron, and the Rev. J.M. Collyns, M.A., incumbent." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Towards the South-Western corner of the old walled City of Exeter, its population in 1801 was 621.