"St. Mary Arches' Church, in the street to which it gives name, is a spacious edifice, with a tower and three bells. The nave and aisles are separated by massive pillars, evidently of great antiquity, but the building has undergone many repairs and alterations. The interior is neatly fitted up, and contains many handsome monuments, principally of the mayors of Exeter. The tomb of Thos. Walker, who died in 1628, has kneeling effigies of himself and wife. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £187, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. J.J. Rowe." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish near the North Gate of the old walled City of Exeter, adjoining the parish of St Olave's, its population in 1801 was 378.