From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
GERMANSWEEK, or Week St. Germans, on a bold acclivity, 11 miles W. by S. of Okehampton, has in its parish 414 souls, and 2595 acres of land, including Heyworthy hamlet, and nearly 800 acres of commons, about to be enclosed. The soil belongs to the Rev C. T. C. Luxmoore, Lord Clinton, J. Squire, H. Hawkes, C. Brown, and a few smaller owners. The Church is mostly in the early English style, and has a tower and three bells. The Dean and Chapter of Bristol are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the perpetual curacy, now held by the Rev. Chas. Carpenter, B.A. of Lifton, who has yearly £82. 7s. from Queen Anne's Bounty, and £9 from the tithes, now leased to the Rev. C. T. C. Luxmoore, and commuted for £117 per annum. Here is a small Baptist chapel.
DIRECTORY -Samuel Gerry, tailor and shopkeeper; John Reddicliff, shopkeeper and shoemaker; Wm. Short, blacksmith ; Peter Spry, smith and vict., Fortescue Arms; and Wm. Axworthy, Thomas Burnard, Thos. Moorcombe, John Northey, Thos. Northcott, Wm. and Walter Palmer, John Perkin, Roger and Thomas Seccombe, Wm. Symons, Wm. White, and Isaac Yeo, farmers.
Brian Randell, 30 Aug 2003