A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TAVY (ST. MARY), a parish in the hundred of LIFTON, county of DEVON, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Tavistock, containing 933 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £14. 5. 7½ and in the patronage of John Buller, Esq. In this parish is an extensive copper mine, called Weal Friendship.