"MEMBURY, 4 miles N. by W. of Axminster, is a scattered village and parish on gentle acclivities, bounded by the Yarty rivulet and the borders of Dorsetshire. It comprises 886 souls, and 4089 acres of land, including Furley and Longbridge hamlets, and many scattered farmhouses, &c. It has a cattle fair on August 10th. The Deans and Canons of the Royal Free Chapel of St. George the Martyr, at Windsor Castle, are lords of the manor, which they have held since 1474, . . . Lord Sidmouth, Robert Davy, Esq., Mrs. Festing, and Samuel Newbery, Esq., have freehold estates here. The latter has a pleasant seat called Goodman's, and is owner of Yarty, an old farmhouse, lately the property of the Earl of Lovelace, and anciently the seat of the Yarty and Frye families. The Church (St. John the Baptist,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It contains several monuments of the Frye and other families, and its burial ground was consecrated in 1316. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter, which was a chapelry of Aminster until 1911.