Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Molland 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Molland 1850

                              MOLLAND


               From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850


MOLLAND is an irregularly built village, at the foot and on the side of a 
bold acclivity, 7 miles E.N.E. of South Molton, and W. of Dulverton; and 
its large parish contains 550 souls, and 6168 acres of land, including 
about 2275 acres of open common and moorland, rising in lofty hills between 
and near the sources of the river Yeo and the Duns Brook, the latter of 
which divides it from Somersetshire. There is a copper mine here, but it 
has been closed during the last three years. Sir Robert George 
Throckmorton, Bart., owns nearly all the parish, and is lord of the manor 
of Molland Bottreaux, anciently held by the Bottreaux family, and 
afterwards by the Hungerfords, whose heiress carried it in marriage to a 
younger branch of the Courtenays, who were seated here till 1732, when 
their heiress brought it to the Throckmortons. The Bottreaux family and 
succeeding owners had a mansion and park at West Molland. The manor house 
of Molland Champeaux, or Champion, was long the seat of the Columbs, and 
afterwards of the Courtenays. These fine old mansions are now occupied by 
Messrs. James and John Quartly, who are noted for their fine breed of North 
Devon cattle, for which they have obtained many prizes. The parish has much 
fine grass land, suitable for breeding, though the soil is generally thin, 
and rests upon rock. The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, in the 
perpendicular style, with a tower and four bells. It contains several neat 
monuments, belonging to the Courtenay and other families. The rectorial 
tithes were given by Wm. Bottreaux to Hartland Abbey, and after the 
dissolution they passed to the Courtenays. In 1721, they were vested in 
trust by Thos. Clarke, for the support of a lecturer (or curate,) and that 
office is now filled by the Rev. Joshua Bawden, B.A., of South Molton. The 
vicarage is consolidated with that of Knowstone, as noticed at page 607. 
The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1841, the rectorial for £99 and 
the vicarial for £339 per annum. West Molland farm is tithe-free. The 
above-named Thos. Clarke left two houses, and 15A. of land, called Leddons, 
for the relief of the poor and schooling poor children, and they are now 
let for about £20 a year. The poor have also the interest of £33. 10s, left 
by several donors.

Bale George, vict. London Inn
Dart Wm. vict. New Inn
Frost Wm. gentleman
Gough Edward, land agent to Sir R.G. Throckmorton, Money Hole 
Milton Wm. miller, Wade Mill
Pook James and John, thatchers
Venn Wm. Palmer, miller, Bottreaux 

   FARMERS.
Baker Henry, Abbot's Park
Baker James || Brewer James 
Bucknell James, Brimley
Cockram George, Little Woods 
Cockram Francis || Cole John 
Cole John, jun., West Bommer 
Elworthy George Hector, Beere 
Elworthy John, Gourte
Fisher John, Brimblecombe
Halse John Courtenay, Pulworthy
Halse Lewis Courtenay, Bowchurch 
Halse Philip, West Lee
Halse Thos. || Maunder Wm.
Hancock Thomas, Great Woods
Mogridge Richard, Copp Hall
Moore Robert, Lower hill
Pincombe John (butcher,) Cuckoo
Quartly James, West Molland Hs
Quartly John, Great Champion

   BLACKSMITHS. 
Dart John 
Dart Wm.

   CARPENTERS.
Baker John
Bale George
Beer John
Greenslade Hh.
Parkin James

   DRESSMAKERS.
Greenslade Fs.
Mogridge Mary
Vicary Harriet

   MASONS.
Ayre George
Snow John

   SHOEMAKERS.
Chapple Robert
Clatworthy Wm.
Gardener John

   SHOPKEEPERS.
Kingsland Jas.
Maunder Daniel

   TAILORS.
Moore Edward 
Pook Pp. & Thos.

   WHEELWRIGHTS.
Baker Wm. 
Mogford John 
Pincombe Thos.

   FOOT-POST to S. Molton, Mon. Wed. and Fri. Dalbridge Thos.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999