Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for South Pool 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

SOUTH POOL

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

POOL, (SOUTH) a small village, at the head of a navigable creek, five miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 555 souls, and 1929A. 3R. 18P. of land including, North Pool hamlet and part of Frogmore village. (See Sherford.) W.M. Praed, Esq., is lord of the manor of South Pool, and the Earl of Devon owns that of North Pool; but Thos. Cornish, Esq., Mr. Edw. Garland, and a few smaller owners, have estates here, chiefly freehold. The parish was anciently held by the de Pola, Punchardon, and Scobel families. The Church (St. Cyriac,) is a fine specimen of the perpendicular style, with a lofty tower and six bells. The interior has transepts, and has a neat and clean appearance. The screen is elaborately carved; and in the chancel is a handsome altar tomb or Easter sepulchre, with a representation of the Resurrection in front of it. Here are also monuments for members of the Dare, Lake, and Bastard families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22. 16s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £486, is in the patronage of W. M. Praed and A. Kelly, Esqrs., the former having two turns and the latter one. The Rev. Henry Taylor, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a large and handsome residence, and 52A. 2R. 23P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £387 per annum. The poor have 25s. and the rector 15s. yearly, left by Andrew Horsman, in 1687; and the former have an annuity of 21s., left by Leonard Dare.

DIRECTORY

Marked * are at Frogmore.

Arnold Thomas, vict. Union Inn
Cornish Thomas, Esq. Scobel
Cuming Richard, blacksmith
Edmunds Matthew, corn miller
Edwards Roger, Esq. Wilton
Garland Mr Edward, sen
* Garde Jno. coal mert. & vict. Bridge Inn
Gasking Samuel, vict. George Inn
Hewitt James, rope and twine maker
Jennings Samuel, schoolmaster
Partridge Joseph, baker
Stidworthy Jno. tailor, & Rd. par.clerk
Taylor Rev Henry, M.A. Rectory

CARPENTERS.

Arundell John
Hoople John

FARMERS.

Adams John
Colwich James
Chipman Agnes
Cuming Richard
Garland Edw. jun
Garland Rt. & Jno.
Goodyear Nichls.
Horsman John
Luscombe Nichs.
* Parsons Thos.
Patey Robert
Robins Richard
Wright Elias, North Pool

MALTSTERS.

Adams John
* Southwood Nchs

SHOEMAKERS.

*Ching John
Steeds James
Tucker Thomas

SHOPKEEPERS.

Browse James
Parker Sarah
Tucker Mary