Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
SOUTHLEIGH. St. Lawrence. The church has been restored and is not of much interest architecturally. In the chancel is the monument of Robert Drake, with the following inscription:- Armiger auratus Robertus nomine Dracus
hic jacet ille pius pauperibusque bonus
septe gnatos frugiet gnatas quiquæ venustas
parturiit coniux Elizabetha sibi 1600
obiit 30 Mar.
There is an old oil painting hanging on the north side of the chancel by an unknown artist. The font [plate 209] is interesting; it is Norman, with square top on thick central shaft, with four smaller ones at the corners. It has an old cover, and the iron fastenings, reminiscent of the time [1236-1536] when it was obligatory for the font to be kept locked.
The registers date: baptisms, 1778; marriages, 1754; burials, 1778.