UPPER KINSHAM, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"UPPER KINSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county Hereford, 3 mules N.E. of Presteigne, its post town, 7 from Kington, and 12 from Leominster. It is situated on the river Lug, and on the turnpike road from Leintwardine to Presteigne. The land is partly in hops. The soil is very inferior in quality. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £15. The church is a modern structure with a belfry. The chancel contains escutcheons of the Oxford and Mortimer families. Kinsham Court is partly in ruins. Kinsham Dingle is a favourite resort for pleasure seekers on account of its scenery." "LOWER KINSHAM, a township in the parish of Presteigne, county Hereford, 2 miles E. of Presteigne. It is a small agricultural place."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]