ALLERTON, a township, with a r. station, in Childwall parish, Lancashire; 4½ miles SE of Liverpool. Acres, 1,531. Real property, £8,361. Pop., 559. Houses, 94. Here are Allerton Hall, Allerton Priory, the famous Allerton oak, and the ancient monument of Calderstone, supposed to be druidical. Allerton Hall was at one time the seat of Mr. Roscoe, anthor of the "Life of Lorenzo de Medici."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)