BOLTON-LE-MOORS, a parish in the districts of Bolton, Wigan, and Chorley, Lancashire. It centres in the Post Town of Bolton; and contains the townships of Great Bolton, Little Bolton, Sharples, Quarlton, Edgeworth, Entwistle, Longworth, Turton, Bradshaw, Haulgh, Tonge, Breightmet, Harwood, Lostock, Darcy-Lever, Blackrod, Anglezarke, and Rivington, and the chapelry of Little Lever. Acres, 30,062. Real property, £332,547; of which £29,356 are in mines, and £1,969 in quarries. Pop. in 1841, 73,905; in 1861, 97,215. Houses, 18,385. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The vicarages of Holy Trinity, St. George, Christ Church, and St. John, and the p. curacies of All Saints, Emmanuel, St. Mark, and St. Paul, within the borough of Bolton, are separate benefices. Value of Holy Trinity, St. George, Christ Church, and St. John, each £300; of Emmanuel, £300;* of St. Mark, £160; of St. Paul, £150; of All Saints, £128. Patron of H. T., the Bishop of Manchester; of St. G. and E., the Vicar of Bolton; and of St. J., alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of A. S., T. Tipping, Esq.; of St. M. and St. P., Trustees. The vicarages of Astley-Bridge, Belmont, Blackrod, Bradshaw, Little Lever, and Lever Bridge, and the p. curacies of Harwood, Rivington, Tonge, Turton, and Walmsley also are separate benefices. See the articles on these places and Bolton.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)