BRINDLE, a parish and a subdistrict in Chorley district, Lancashire. The parish lies on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Preston and Blackburn railway, near Bamber-Bridge station, 5 miles N by E of Chorley; and has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,935. Real property, £6,401. Pop., 1,501. Houses, 265. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. There are a cotton factory, print-works, chemical-works, brickworks, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £515.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good; and there are a chapel at B.-Heath, built in 1864, a Roman Catholic chapel, a large boarding-school, a workhouse, and charities £31. The subdistrict includes also part of Leyland parish. Acres, 10,388. Pop., 6,021. Houses, 1,112.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)