DITTON, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Warrington and Garston railway, 1½ mile NNW of Runcorn. It includes Haigh-Green hamlet; and has a post office under Warrington and a r. station. A railway to it from Runcorn was opened in 1869. Acres, 2, 072. Real property, £4,819. Pop., 764. Houses, 136. D. Hall is the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Stapleton. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)