Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
FAILSWORTH, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Manchester parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Rochdale canal, and near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 4½ miles NE by E of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,064. Real property, £16,052; of which £450 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 4,433; in 1861, 5,113. Houses, 1,054. The increase of population arose from the erection of cotton mills and manufactories, the enlargement of a foundry, and the facilities afforded for traffic by canal. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and was constituted in 1844. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £211.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1846. There are four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and national schools. The sub-district includes Moston township. Pop., 8,312.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham
- Ebenezer, Linwood St, Old Baptist Union
- Zion, Coronation Rd, Old Baptist Union
- Ashton Rd East, Congregational
- Macedonia, Ashton Rd East, Congregational
- Holy Family, Lord Lane, Church of England
- Holy Trinity, Oldham Road, Church of England
- St John, Oldham Road, Church of England
- Lord Lane, Methodist
- Roman Rd, Methodist Independent Fellowship
- Bethel, Oldham Rd, Methodist New Connexion
- Oldham Rd (Wellington St), Wesleyan Methodist
- Woodhouses, Wesleyan Methodist
- Hope, Oldham Rd (Wellington St), Wesleyan Methodist
- Hope, Wrigley Head, Wesleyan Methodist
- Thorley St, !Audacious
- Oldham Rd, Evangelical Christian Centre
- Oldham Rd, Jehovah's Witness
- Church St, Mission Hall
- Oldham Rd, New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian)
- Oldham Road, SalvationArmy
- Oldham Road, thefaithworks
- Dob Lane, Unitarian
- St Mary (The Immaculate Conception), Clive Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Mary (The Immaculate Conception), Oldham Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Failsworth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Failsworth area is Oldham
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Failsworth which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Failsworth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD900012 (Lat/Lon: 53.507383, -2.152255), Failsworth which are provided by: