FOULRIDGE, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds canal and the Colne and Skipton railway, 2 miles N of Colne. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Colne. Acres, 2,450. Real property, £4,498; of which £70 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,233; in 1861, 988. Houses, 203. The decrease of pop. arose from the discontinuance of handloom weaving. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)