HALTON, a village and a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Lune, and on the Lancaster and Leeds railway, 2½ miles NNE of Lancaster; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. The parish includes also the chapelry of Aughton. Acres, 3,738. Real property, £1,520. Pop., 670. Houses, 130. The property is much subdivided. Halton Hall is a chief residence. Coins of Canute, now in the British museum, were found, in 1815, on Halton moor; vestiges of a Roman camp and an ancient barrow are near the church; and remains of a Roman altar were found at the camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £479. Patron, J. Hastings, Esq. The church is modern, with an ancient tower; and has a memorial font. The p. curacy of Aughton is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £15; and other charities have £68.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- High Road, Congregational
- St Wilfrid, Church Brow, Church of England
- St Robert Bellarmine, Houghton Court , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Halton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster.
You can see pictures of Halton which are provided by:boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Halton to another place. maps of Halton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD501648 (Lat/Lon: 54.076699, -2.764154), Halton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.