MOSS-SIDE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village lies 2 miles S by E of Manchester, is neatly built, and has an ornamental public park. The township comprises 430 acres. Real property, £20,039. Pop. in 1851, 943; in 1861, 2,695. Houses, 435. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of buildings and other improvements. The chapelry is much larger than the township, and was constituted in 1854. Pop. in 1861, 6,114. Houses, 1,114. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £717. Patrons, the Representatives of R. Gardiner, Esq. The church is modern. There are national and other schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)