It was founded in 1892. The parish is now combined with Mother of God and St James, Pendleton, and renamed St James with All Souls.
Lady Annette de Trafford laid the foundation stone of a new school here in 1889. This was during the Rectorship of Dean Saffenreuter, at St. James's, Pendleton. A separate parish was formed in 1896, and Canon McDermott Roe was the first Rector, but was soon followed by Fr. Salvatore Carruccio, who stayed until his death in 1903.
Fr. Henry Mom came here from Colne and worked in this district for ten years until ill-health caused him to retire. He died in 1927. The present Rector, Canon L. Delaney, was appointed in 1913. A new church was opened in 1934, by Bishop Henshaw. The consecration took place in 1946, by Bishop Marshall. It is reported on good authority that the present parish priest hopes to live for many years and then "to wait for the Resurrection amongst some thousands of friends in Weaste cemetery."
Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
All Souls church started life, not where it is now, but on Bute street, (now Kintyre avenue), Weaste. the spot became the caretakers house, for All Souls primary school, next door. In its last years, the original church became an extension of the school, housing the last years pupils, before they migrated to secondary school. The church was unused for a few years then became a factory, making mens shirts, after which, in the early 1970s it was demolished.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.